Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Garden Salsa

Dr. Hooper was born in the wrong country. She should've been born south of the border. Mexican food is my one and only vice, and salsa is my go-to snack. I could eat this entire bowl in one sitting. The good news is, it's really good for you (not the chips, though)! It's handy to have around to add to recipes or set out when guests visit. This is my coveted salsa recipe, handed down to me from my great, great, great, great Abuela Maria.
 
Just kidding, I made it up when I lived in Memphis and developed green chili withdrawals. I was jones'n for some Mexican food, so I went to the store and picked up a few ingredients that I thought went into salsa. My first attempt was just some crushed tomatoes, onions, garlic, and some salsa verde (which is just tomatillos). It wasn't very good. I thought it was good at the time, but I didn't know what I was missing. I talked to my mom about it (she was in Colorado) and she said the secret ingredient is.... cilantro. She learned this from our good friend Michele Ruffatti, who is the queen of Mexican food. So, I started experimentin'. This is my perfected recipe:
 
28 oz. crushed or diced tomatoes (or about 3 1/2 - 4 cups fresh tomatoes)
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 small onion
2 jalapenos (keep the seeds in if you want more heat)
2 handfuls of fresh cilantro
Salt to taste
 
I stick all of the ingredients into a food processor and pulverize everything. Dr. Hooper doesn't like chunky salsa. Enjoy!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment