Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Rolly Bonks

 
What in the world is a Rolly Bonk? That was my first thought when I was watching "Take Me to Your Mother" on NickMom (aka Nickjr's nightly show for moms). This show is HILARIOUS! This is the trailer for the new series, in case you can't view the video above. Now, I'm not a big TV person. It's not that I don't like TV, I just don't get wrapped into shows. A lot of my friends are "binge" watchers, people who blow through these reality shows or crime dramas. I'm not a big reader, either. I'm more of a non-fiction kind of person. I really have my dad to thank for that and I'm not going to lie, I DON'T like fiction. I don't know why... *insert sarcasm*
 
Here's my TV history lesson. Growing up, I NEVER got to pick what was on the TV. Dad made us suffer through hours and hours of PBS tv series like "NOVA" and "Wild America." When my parents finally got cable, I was in the fourth grade (1997). My mom got a TV in her room and one downstairs. I had a TON of catching up to do with my fellow classmates who were always talking about what was on Nickelodeon and the Disney channel. I was always watching "Doug," "Rugrats," "Hey Arnold," "The Secret Life of Alex Mac," and many many others that I can't even recall. My dad always had the History, Military, or Science Channel on upstairs.
 
<---- the horror!!!!!
 
 
As I became a teenager, I watched the first few seasons of this ridiculous serious called "Degrassi: The Next Generation." That show got so out of control with all the love twists (that I probably shouldn't have even known about at that age) that I stopped watching TV. That was supposed to be a preteen show?!? I was still getting tucked in at that age, I didn't have no boyfriend pressuring me into making woopie and a hoochie friend trying to get me in trouble!
 
As soon as I got my license when I was 16, I immediately got a job because I didn't want my parents to think I was a loser. Plus I had to buy gas if I wanted to drive myself to school or go anywhere. Between work, school, and homework, TV was pretty much null and void in my life. Fast forward a few years and I'm in the middle of working two jobs and going to college, I had a little surprise. My first daughter reared her head into this world at full force. I started watching TV again, and she loved watching a few of those NickJr shows everyday. And I'm pretty sure I have Dora the Explorer to thank for teaching her the alphabet in Spanish. After she was born, she and Kitchen Nightmares stole my heart. I still love that show. Mostly because my first job was a restaurant job. And I found myself drawn back to the same crap that my dad used to make everyone watch. I remember watching the History Channel and sleeping on the couch in my parents' basement during Stephanie's first night home from the hospital. It's like it was subconscious or something. I actually watch all the SAME CRAP that my dad did! And the same music. I mean, my dad never let anyone listen to anything else on the radio except for HIS classic rock stations. Thanks a lot for making my favorite band Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, DAD (seriously, though, it's the only music I like).
 
Since then, I've been at home more and more and I have to say, "Take Me to Your Mother" has really grabbed me for the first time since Kitchen Nightmares. I would recommend it to every mom. It's funny and it's relatable. She meets moms of all cultures and beliefs and tries to learn something from each one. I think the funniest part is seeing that ALL moms are alike. Anyway, back to the Rolly Bonks.
 
So, she visits this one family. The lady has like 6 kids and she makes a family recipe called Rolly Bonks. They looked really good, so I made some tonight for dinner with some corn on the cob. Here is the recipe. If you don't feel like reading it, basically it's just tuna, rice, cheese, and cream of mushroom soup rolled in corn flakes and deep fried. It's REALLY bad for you but they're good. My kids had 2 each. My husband didn't like them. I was surprised because he likes tuna. He called them fish balls. I was a little offended.
 
Like I said, "Take Me to Your Mother" airs on NickMom, and you can watch some of the ridiculous episodes here.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment