Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Teriyaki Chicken and Rice

We've all been through it, unless we're privileged: How am I going to afford 3 weeks of meals with what I got in the bank? I've got 120 bucks between me and poverty! Well, I've got a few ideas that will help ease your mind. The doctor is in the house.

Prescription #1: Teriyaki Chicken

What you'll need:
2-3 chicken breasts
1 bottle of your choice of Teriyaki Sauce
1 tbsp Sriracha Hot Sauce (optional)
Rice
Vegetables for side dish

Step 1: Take some chicken, dump some of that sweet, sticky teriyaki sauce on it. Add 2-3 cups of water so it doesn't dry out. I also added a small squirt of Sriracha sauce. Not too much, now. I got chillins that are going to be eating this, and my husband hates spicy foods. Turn your crock pot on HIGH. I recommend letting it cook for at least 5 hours. Dr. Hooper wants your chicken to melt in your mouth.
 Step 2: After your chicken has been turned into mouthwatering goodness, take two forks and start chunking that chicken up. Don't shred it, now. We aren't making chicken burgers with cole slaw, that's another day.

Step 3: Boil you up some rice. I prefer a simple life, so I buy instant rice. You know, the kind you cook up like a tea bag. You just pull it out with a fork, cut that open, and try to strategically dump it out without burning your finger tips off. It helps if you have some acrylic nails. I cook up two bags. That feeds my family of 4 with leftovers to spare! Reheated leftovers, for those late nights when you need to eat your feelings. You're sitting there watching Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, watching Guy Fieri eat all that good stuff while your stuck at home with a box of crackers and a flat bottle of root beer. That's when you whip out them leftovers and pretend you're eating a rack of lamb. Yeah, you know what I'm taking about.
Step 4: After you've dumped your rice out, take a slotted ladle, scoop out the chicken, dump it over the rice. Now, I don't know about you, but I have to have some fiber in my diet, or else I get the soft serves. My kids loooove bell peppers. You can use anything you want, though. Bell peppers happened to be on sale at my local grocer for $1. Take some kind of veggie (you can throw in a bag of frozen stir fry vegetables, those are usually on sale for around $1) to serve your kids.
Now you've got a seriously cheap and delicious dinner. Your welcome.

Prescription #2 (this one is on the house): I use paper plates. You can find a pack of about 110 at wal mart for around 5 bucks. Dr. Hooper wants you to save the planet and quit wasting water on those dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment